A SPANC team member will ask you a few brief questions to confirm that you are eligible and then explain the nature of the study.
The study will involve:
- 5 study visits over 3 years
- a blood sample every year
- anal swabs at each visit
- an anal examination at each visit, where a small plastic tube is inserted into your anus
- a questionnaire at each visit about other factors that might be related to cancer including sexual behaviour
- There will also be a 6th visit to review all your study results with a study doctor
Who is eligible?
- Living in the Sydney region and aged 35 years or more
- Had sex with men
- Never diagnosed with anal cancer
- Never undergone a High Resolution Anoscopy
- Not taking anticoagulant medication (aspirin is OK)
Then you’re eligible to enroll in SPANC!